There are plenty of incredible deals to be had when purchasing a home in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. One way a trusted real estate expert can help you get a great deal is to help you purchase a home in need of some renovations. This can be a great way to get the features that you desire while improving the home and adding equity. If you will be bringing in a contractor to manage the renovation there are a few things you may want to consider before hiring.
- Hire a contractor that you trust. This person will be in your home and may be around your family so if you don’t feel comfortable with them you should probably pass on hiring them.
- Make sure the contractor is licensed, bonded and insured.
- Hire a contractor who specializes in the job you need done. Hiring a contractor who specializes in bathroom remodels to remodel your kitchen may pose some problems.
- Have a detailed contract in place before work begins.
- Find out who will be performing the work. Will the person you hired do the work or will they subcontract it to someone else?
- Give the contractor guidelines for working in and around your home. Are there certain hours that work cannot be performed?
- Know what your responsibilities are. Will you be responsible for moving things off of the walls and out of a room? What should you do with your pets?
- Look at samples of the contractors past work.
- Think locally. If a contractor has been doing work in your area for a good amount of time it speaks to the quality of work they perform.
Although these are just a few of the things you’ll want to consider before hiring a contractor to begin a renovation on your home, this is a good starting point. You may consider asking people you trust for a source that they recommend. Our team continues to add trusted vendors to our list, which we gladly share with our clients.
What other recommendations can you think of when you consider hiring a contractor?
The Todd Tramonte Home Selling Team